Baked Apple & CINNAMON Marshmallows
– or –
40 small marshmallows
You will need:
- 160g apple purée
- 240g glucose
- 300g granulated white sugar
- 13 leaves of gelatine soaked in 200g cold water
- Vegetable oil
- 30g cinnamon
- Vanilla essence
- Medium sized saucepan
- Stand mixer
- Sugar thermometer
For the topping:
- Icing sugar
For the marshmallows, put the granulated sugar, 120g glucose and 80g of apple puree into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to the boil. Heat until a sugar thermometer shows 112°C.
- Add the remaining 80g of apple purée and 120g of glucose into the stand mixer and mix on a low speed.
- Melt the soaked gelatine in a microwave (category B)for 1 minute
- When the purée/sugar/glucose mix has reached 112°C, pour the mixture into the stand mixer.
- Whisking all the time, add the melted gelatine into the stand mixer then increase the speed to medium.
- Once the consistency of the mixture thickens and is less liquid-like, and there is no danger of splash back, increase the mixer speed to maximum for a further 12 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape on a whisk.
- Add 30g champagne to the mixture and continue mixing for a further minute.
While the mixture is whisking…
- Take a roasting tin and cover it with a sheet of cling film ensuring it covers the whole surface completely and smoothly
Pour a small amount of vegetable oil onto the film and grease.
- Once the marshmallow mix has quadrupled in size and drops slowly off the whisk, it is ready to pour into the pre-greased roasting tin.
- Leave marshmallow mixture to set at room temperature for 4-6 hours before cutting with a hot wet knife and dusting the mallows in a pre-mix of 50/50 icing sugar and corn flour.The marshmallows will keep for 3 weeks in an airtight container!